Sunday, July 19, 2026

The art of Sandstone. Taking an unusual look at the abstract beauty of the built environment at Greasley Church.

A Warm Saturday afternoon on July the 18th 2026, and after a delightful lunch at Beauvale Priory Tearooms, I had a little bit of time on my hands, and where to go? Well in my mind I had the following thought going around in my mind which was, 

"Well it has to be Greasley Church. For I have not visited there since the Spring, since the beautiful Cherry Blossoms were in bloom."

Of course since the Spring has been and gone, Summer has arrived and that has bought with it a change in the landscape, especially with the recent lack of rain and of course continual heat which has made the landscape look a little too parched, a sad sight to see. But Greasley Church though always seems to have something photogenic to capture throughout the seasons, and throughout the seasons the architecture of the church and the way it blends into the surrounding landscape is also magical to capture. 

But hold on? Architecture, well that is another element of art, and this time around, just a short walk around Greasley Church, and I came across various artworks, which are perhaps "a little bit more on the abstract side." When I was looking at what I could find, textures, layers, shapes and things that caught my eyes within the sandstone elements of the construction of this glorious church, and yes you do not have to be religious to appreciate the beauty of churches, for they are works of art within their own rights, as are all religious buildings, but it is the Architecture which is the art, and below are the photos that I had managed to capture. 

"Sand and Concrete, Colour and Grey."

"Scream and Cobwebs. Munch about Observation."

"Layers and Splits."

"Cave City, within The Sandstone Walls."

"The Wall of Texture, Colour and Layer Beauty."

"Iron Red Systems."

"Layers Exposed."

"Like a Beach, the Sands of Time."

"Little Martian Seas of Red."

"Is there any life here on Mars."

No comments:

Post a Comment